Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Overwhelmed by a sense of patriotism

I'm actually blown away by the sudden expansion of my perception of America. I feel I've been drugged with patriotism.

Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States of America.

Wow. Our nation is crying tears of joy. We all know something truly amazing has happened. The whole world seems to be celebrating with us.

Wow.

I have to go out now and buy a flag and hang it on my house.

For the first time in my life I now actually believe this country is worth dying for. What I mean is that I've been willing to die defending myself against attack. Anyone would do that. Someone attacks your homeland and you're "willing" to die because "you don't touch what's mine." It's a reaction from pride, ego, machismo. It applies equally to country or automobile or gym shoes.

But for the first time in my life, I believe this nation is "worthy" of the lives it has cost its citizens. The idea of the United States of America is a worthy idea. There is a nobility and honorableness that calls for its citizens to sacrifice whatever is necessary for that idea to be preserved.

The America that elected Barack Hussein Obama as its 44th president is the America of my dreams--the America of promise. We're not fully there yet, but from all appearances, about 60% of us are seriously trying. And that makes America great to me in a way that it has not been in the past. I believe so much more now that she is worth loving, sacrificing and protecting. And what's more... I believe the world may feel the same way.
--TRL

No comments: